performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 01-01-01, 10:48 PM   #21
martin ewen

Arrow

Robert

1, what was your initial training and who has taught you the basics you needed initially.

2,what, should you admit it, is your original approach to an age old occupation.

3, why, should you admit it, are you a thing of beauty.

See you in christchurch robert!

martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-01, 11:20 PM   #22
Adam Gertsacov

Butterfly

MY QUESTIONS:

1) What is it that makes your act unique? What do you bring to the circle that no one else brings?

2) What's your favorite part of being a performer? That is to say, what is it that has driven you to endure and persevere and makes all the crap worthwhile?

2) How do you feel that being a performer has made you a better or worse person? Discuss.
Adam Gertsacov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-01, 03:29 PM   #23
Lynneski

Some great questions to tackle so far. Here's
a couple I'd like to ask:

1) Of what ad-libbed line/moment are you most
proud?

2) Where do you look for inspiration?

3) How do help (or maybe hinder) emerging artists?

Lynne
Old 01-12-01, 08:01 AM   #24
Frisbee

Question

Here are a few questions:

1.) When was it that you realized that being a busker was what you were going to do for your career?

2.) Are there any major defining conversations or people in your past that have influenced the way that you look at the world?

3.) What kind of childhood did you have, and how did that influence you deciding to join the performing world?

Thanks,
-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 01-19-01, 12:47 PM   #25
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat

Hey yíall ... just a quick update.
I spent most of yesterday with Patty Campbell (and her husband/photographer, David). She lives in an amazing house on a beautiful avocado farm a couple hours south of LA. She gave me her literary blessing and mucho sage advise re: the book & the interview process.
During the course of our discussion, she showed me her unpublished manuscript on the European scene (late '70's, early '80's) and I was flabbergasted with it's comprehensiveness and detail. Apparently it has lots of photos but was not accepted for publication because everyone thought it was too much information for too little of an audience ... hmmm ... makes ya think don't it?
So off I go to NZ to check out the final days of the Jodi fest in CHCH and do an interview or two ... if my plane crashes and Iím on a desert island for 4+ years, Iíll Fed Ex the project to Michael River.
Old 01-22-01, 05:14 AM   #26
Chance

Question

With all the suggestions getting tossed out there, Robert, I was wondering if you were leaning more towards either an autobiographical work (telling just your own first-hand observations), or one which is more formal/investigative (ie, more like straight journalism)?

Secondly, are you leaning more towards current happenings or towards a more ancient historical work (which for you could be both, I suppose - but I digress)?

And lastly, is it coming together as a manual/resource type of work or more like a running narrative? IMHO being able to put a finger on all three possibilities goes a very long way to directing your final edit, however many pages that may be hence.

On a different question, and since no one has brought it up yet (although I am sure many have wondered), after you have interviewed and gleaned the collective memories and imaginations of so many of us and enshrined it all into the gilded pages of a beautifully engraved, leather covered coffee table book which by then must be 5000 pages and weigh 35 pounds... what, do you suppose, will our cut be?

[This message has been edited by Chance (edited 01-22-2001).]
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-01, 05:37 AM   #27
Peter Voice

Chance, should Robert's endeavours make a profit, I would have thought that only those worthy of inclusion would have a claim on a cut (a ridiculous suggestion though, anyway you look at it). In your case, the word "we" is a little presumptuous don't you think. I, personally, am a non-entity in the scope of this proposal and suggest you might be too.
It's an inspiring idea and if the Butterfly Man can pull it off, more power to him. The same applies to you, next time you come up with something interesting or constructive (unlikely as it may seem), I and others would support you.
And if you're reading this Bri, Prof said if you really have a problem she'll tell you about the "peanut" cookie.

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 01-23-2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 05:59 AM   #28
Chance

Cool

Hey, Peter, why all the attitude? I didn't realize that in order to approach the Butterfly Man I had to survive a gauntlet of protectors. Let me also point out a few things...

You did not begin this thread-

My last letter here was not an open letter, but was specifically addressed to Robert and which applied directly to his concerns on this matter overall-

Unlike you, I did not flame, and knowing Robert as I do I am positive he took no offense to anything I said-

My letter contained not just one, but several helpful elements, although you saw fit to only create a negative subject from them-

And for your information (for which you are obviously out of the loop), Robert has indeed asked me personally to participate in this project. (Wanna see the letters proving it?)

And on top of all this (stepping into someone else's conversation unrequested, digressing from the main topic, turning innocent dialog into the opposite, showing your ass, etc.) you somehow also found time to insult me. Wouldn't your letter be better suited for the 'Blah, Blah, Blah' section?

Have a great New Year!

ps: Care to add anything positive to this conversation, or not?

------------------
Each man's given a bag of tools,
An hourglass,
A book of rules;

And each man's built,
'ere his hour's flown,
A stumbling block -
Or a stepping stone.
Old 01-23-01, 06:34 AM   #29
Peter Voice

Cool

Gee, chance I didn't realise I wasn't allowed comment on a thread I didn't start. It does raise the question of why you might be posting here.
Anyway,why are you on your computer before you've even had breakfast. Dying to see if you got a bite, eh? Feed your self properly, young man, or you'll never grow up.
Old 01-23-01, 07:23 AM   #30
Chance

Two o'clock in the afternoon where I am, Peter. And rather than continue wasting space here by continually going off-topic, I will now take my leave (yawn...)

[This message has been edited by Chance (edited 01-23-2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 09:44 AM   #31
Jim
Your Host

Chance,

This was posted below, by Robert. I think it answers most of your questions in your original post.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Butterfly Man:
To all my fellow street performers.

So, this is where I stand. I am not going to write an encyclopedic version of street performers over the past 30 years (though, I would gladly offer my research to anyone interested in such a project).
What I am going to attempt is a literary work that covers some of the more colorful and inspiring acts (on an international level) I have seen during my travels. Individual stories and personal histories that might give some insight to the average reader into our world. The final product will be, out of necessity, totally subjective and though I intend to interview as many acts that are willing to participate in the project, they will all be told beforehand that their comments are subject to editing.
Whenever someone, anyone, puts something out in front of the public, he becomes subject to criticism. I expect this, and hope you will all remain my friends after all is said and done... except for Gazzo, that is, I donít give a damn about the way he feels.

And regarding any 'cuts' from profits... I'd personally be happy with a mention in the book.

And I'd also be surprised if the book actually broke even on Robert's personal investment--- 25+ years of working the pavement. Any profits left over should go to his retirement fund.

Jim

Old 01-25-01, 05:46 AM   #32
Chance

Thanks for the quote Jim; it was quite a bit more helpful than Peter's input. I had read it earlier, but it hadn't sunk in at first reading.

And since both you and Peter want to take issue with me on what was originally meant to be a harmless comment (directed to someone I know personally), I will try to do you both justice with a story about something which happened to me quite recently. (If this gets too off topic I apologize, and don't have any problem if you want to move it to another thread.)

About a year ago a book came out on street magic, written by David Groves out of Los Angeles. He was not alone in its creation. Over a four-year period he stayed in people's homes, ate their food, gained their confidence and acted like their friend - and all the while asking hundreds of questions over the telephone, in person, and on video-tape. But when it came time to deliver, the pizza boy suddenly forgot the address.

Excuse me for disagreeing with you both, but it seems to me that if *someone else's* advise or general knowledge is *instrumental* to the completion of a project from which you plan to earn money, then something more than a beer and a byline is in order. Especially if you didn't even get the byline.

If I were to write an autobiography who else would there be to credit, who else could lay claim to the proceeds, but myself? But a collective work is just that: Collective.
Old 01-25-01, 06:30 AM   #33
Peter Voice

I think you miss the point, Chance, nobody thinks this is going to make money, in fact several of us are prepared to invest in this project, none the least being Robert, because we believe in it (take note Trevor). We know it will not make money but we know it can, and probably will, be brilliant.
This is not about making bucks, it is about celebrating our inspirations, our peers and ourselves.
Stop bitchin' and write more stories, you are beginning to make us think you can actually do it.

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 01-25-2001).]
Old 01-25-01, 07:17 AM   #34
Chance

No prisoners this time. No apologies, either.

Whatever I can do, have done, or will ever do is not something which might have materialized just yesterday. I do not give a rats ass what you, Peter, or anyone else may think or feel about me. I really don't. Your intimate likes or dislikes is simply not on my list of personal concerns -- just like I am sure that concern for my peeves are no where to be found in your home or life. TouchŤ.

Read my letters if you want; no one is going to force you to. Disagree with them if you want to. Disagree with them ALOT if you feel the need. But I simply see no need for the shit you are trying to pull off, as though you think that if you yell "smoke" often enough, others will imagine they see a fire.

It is obvious to even the most casual observer that you don't like me, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record I really am not going to lose sleep over your feelings. But what I am curious about is your obvious need to publicise it, especially when we have never even met in person? What is your motivation? (THIS is what I do find fascinating!) What do you hope to gain by this artifice?

By contrast, I just wrote a true account of a recent situation. This guy did me wrong six ways from Sunday, and yet I had never made an issue of it until now! And then, only due to a very specific situation relating to Roberts proposed book. The two situations were close enough to merit the comparison, at least to me. But what, I ask, is YOUR justification for trying to rake ME over the coals? I challenge you to show me even one negative comment written from me to you (or about you to someone else) - before this letter - and if you can not (and I know you can not) then to more carefully consider what you say to me the next time the thought crosses your mind.

And even now I can say all of this, to disagree with you in the strongest way possible, without a single personal attack towards yourself, your work, your family, your maturity, your anything. Try it sometime.
Old 01-25-01, 08:36 AM   #35
Brian Wilson

Send a message via ICQ to Brian Wilson

Prisoners? Apologies? I thought this was just a friendly chat.

Just wanted to mention that I started an online journal about a year ago, and have been dumping my poetry, sketches, and a few journal entries into it. Turns out that I'm quite happy with it, and it looks as though it may be my philisophical spin on life. I'm waiting for a publisher to approach me about it, but may just go the route of ebook (seems to be the common path these days.) Not entirely concerned about the money, as it's more of a personal artistic thing..

the url is
http://scribble.nu/x/?u=briguy

Looks like Robert is using the resources online here to collect funny stories and draw up some source. Power to him.

It's obviously not all about the money, it's about the fun (as any show should be). But it looks as though Robert might have a nice little retirement project in store for him.

Peter, peanut butter cookies are my favorite! You have a good recipe?

Take it easy.....
Old 01-25-01, 11:26 AM   #36
Jim
Your Host

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Chance:
And since both you and Peter want to take issue with me on what was originally meant to be a harmless comment (directed to someone I know personally),
Chance, sorry if it came out that way, I wasn't "Taking Issue." I was just putting in my two cents on an concept you brought up.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Chance:
If I were to write an autobiography who else would there be to credit, who else could lay claim to the proceeds, but myself? But a collective work is just that: Collective.
The only thing is that this ISN'T, it seems, going to be a "Collective." Robert will probably wind up interviewing people for research, but in the end, it's probably going to be just him doing the writing... at least that's what I can gather from his last comment:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">From Robert: The final product will be, out of necessity, totally subjective and though I intend to interview as many acts that are willing to participate in the project, they will all be told beforehand that their comments are subject to editing.
If he's arranged something else with you, I don't know about it. All I know is what he's posted here.

I bet he was just trying to hash out some ideas when he started this topic. Then he made up his mind and posted that comment explaining what he intended to do. I don't think it was intended to be a place to gather stories to be published and profited from. I know Robert well enough to know he wouldn't do something like that, especially since then he'd owe ME a cut for using my web site.

Jim
Old 01-26-01, 02:05 AM   #37
Chance

Before Robert's original thread gets entirely lost, and before anyone gets the idea that Robert and I don't get along, I would like to clarify something: I sincerely hope that whatever Robert attempts to achieve with this book project turns out to be an amazing success any way he chooses to measure success!

And I have to remark on how the most innocent comment about a 'cut' on the project has taken on a life of its own, and seems to be the only thing you respondants want to focus on, even though to me it was simply a throw-away comment and even meant to be just a tad funny in the process. But since you clipped a quote, Jim, let me now give the full context of that quote:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Excuse me for disagreeing with you both, but it seems to me that if *someone else's* advise or general knowledge is *instrumental* to the completion of a project from which you plan to earn money, then something more than a beer and a byline is in order. Especially if you didn't even get the byline.

Take that quote in its entirety, then compare it to all of Robert's letters pertaining to this topic, and I do feel that a detached impartial observer would agree with me that Robert has been asking for more than simply to be reminded of *his own life* as seen thru the eyes of his peers, so that he can better write about himself in an autobiography.

That being said, I want to close this out by repeating that I hope this project turns out to be everything Robert hopes for, whether it be an autobiography, a biography, a historical work, or even all of the above all rolled into one!

But I still want my cut!
Old 01-26-01, 06:04 AM   #38
Peter Voice

Hat

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but I thought Robert was egged into this book because several people nudged him. It is obvious that such a project is massive and it seems that if anyone could do it, it's the Butterfly Man.
Robert "bought it" and agreed to try (very cool). He has solicited advise (even cooler), but at no point has he committed himself to anything. The only things we know for sure are that there is "a world we know", that should be recorded and few people that could do it.
Robert is a beautiful writer, as are Martin, Raoul and many others, even Chance when he lightens up.
In our correspondence, Robert and I have often talked about images (photos and drawings) and the copyright issue has been understood from day one. I thought we should search for those pics that had a sense of time and place (at this point, I'd like to ask you all what you have in your albums), those photos of the "great acts" on the "great pitches". I also suggested a call on these boards for the great stories that have come from our lifestyle, Robert started it and the results have been wonderful reading.
In fact, many of the writings should be copied into the "Library", so that some of the best stuff is at the front door to greet new visitors to the site.
We are all aware of copyright, so surely this is one of the best places in the world to tell our stories. It is dated, recorded etc.

At no point have we discussed money, when the blatant question came up, I thought it better that we made a beautiful book than waste time and energy on legal and other issues, so he can use what he wants/needs from our image library. This is purely a personal decision.

Any reasonably competent publisher knows the legal issues of a multi-author publication (it's easy) and none of this means Robert cannot call for contributions and work it out as it evolves.

Chance, I think the only person to use the word "auto-biography" in this discussion has been you. Funny, eh?

Sorry about all the crossed threads, some of this could be continued in "Legal Issues" (Copyright is a favorite), part of it relates to "Shouldn't We Be Paid". Another bit should go into "Site/forum Suggestions", but hey, it's been a big day.

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old 02-05-01, 10:46 PM   #39
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat

Whoa! ... to paraphrase El Gleno Grande "Easy ... Steady" ... geez, I go away for a few days to the southern hemisphere and this thread turns into Dante's Inferno ... all of which would/could have been alleviated post haste, if a private e-mail had been sent to me initially rather than posted here.
Now, unfortunately, a prospective contributor has to wade through this recent unrelated drivel to get to the meat of the matter ... counterproductive to the subject at hand, I should think eh? So, from now on, puleeeze, if someone wants to ask me a question about what they personally are going to get out of this project, contact me directly. OK?

Now, an update:

My visit to Christchurch & Nelson NZ was not all just fun and games. I asked for and received some great interviews (about 4 hours worth). As it turns out, I learned heaps in the process.

First, always have more blank tapes than you think you might need.
Second, remember your tape machine needs power to run it, so make sure you bring the proper attachments!
And lastly, there are 3 types of interviewees: one that is good, one that kind of sucks and one that would have been good if you could just have gotten them to settle down ...
Guess which category Nick Nickolas fits into?

So, despite my problems, I learned a bunch about New Zealands street performing history and who was who in itís makeup ... thanks to Michael River (the man I hope will hold my hand throughout this entire project).

Also,thanks to advise I received from Haggis, River and (surprisingly) Nick Nickolas, the history of Great Britain & Europe is starting to become clearer as well.

More details on my acquired info. to come, once I transcribe the tapes ...

So letís stay on topic shall we,
Robert ďyou know Iím gonna lose money on thisĒ Nelson

P.S. FYI This book has nothing to do with the stories in the Blah Blah Blah section.

And just so you know, I am thinking this book just might turn out to be a fictional character walking through our non-fictional world ... any constructive comments on this would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-01, 12:32 AM   #40
Jim
Your Host

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Butterfly Man 2/05/01:
And just so you know, I am thinking this book just might turn out to be a fictional character walking through our non-fictional world ... any constructive comments on this would be appreciated.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Jim 12/27/00:
...It could be written in the first person by a ficticious character and still go through all the emotions and specifics of our world. I know Robert could handle that beautifully.
I don't need a cut, but I want a credit. Ha!