View Single Post
Old 07-25-11, 04:06 PM   #11
davidkaye

Default Get A Contract!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin ewen View Post
NW Folklife has not paid a single performer for their skills and talents to entertain at this event in the last 3 decades since I've been donating my time there. Now, they not only wish to deny the right to freedom of expression, but they want to street performers to pay for that right. Rights are not privileges to be controlled by power hungry event coordinators and they have no right treating our rights in that manner!
I suggest to anybody who is invited to participate in one of these "festivals" to be sure to get a written contract with the organizer, look it over thoroughly, and then decide if you want to participate. Make sure you get their counter signature so you both have signed copies of the contract. Yeah, it's a hassle, but this is the only way to guarantee that you're not going to get ripped off.

So many promoters think they can get rich quick on the backs of performers who have spent years honing their skills by ripping them off or making unreasonable demands. Forget that! As street performers were are professionals, not derelicts. We deserve to be treated as well as the electrician they hire to to oversee their setup or the insurance agent who oversees their liability insurance.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote